Faculty Spotlight: Wendy Ellis

"A house without books is like a room without windows."
 ~Heinrich Mann

If you ever get an email from Dr. Wendy Ellis, you will see this quote embedded below her signature. I love stopping by her office because, as if in response to that quote, the bookshelves in her office are loaded with books upon books. I got to sit in that very office earlier this week and interview this reading professor and Director of our Reading program. Here's what she had to say!


Me: How many years have you been in the field of education?

Wendy: 17 years.
 
Me: What made you decide to become a teacher?

W: I always wanted to be a teacher; I used to pretend I was a teacher when I was a kid and I would "teach" my dolls. My mom loved kids and she was my biggest teaching role model even though she wasn't a teacher and didn't have a college degree. I learned a lot from my mom just the way she handled kids.

Me: What is your favorite thing about your job?

W: Working with and teaching the students. I love that part. I could do without all the paperwork though!
 
Me: What is your favorite class/subject to teach?

W: Emergent Literacy. I spent a lot of years as a 1st grade teacher so I love that class.
 
Me: What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you in the classroom?

W: My life in general is just funny!

Me: What do you like to do in your spare time?

W: I like to run, read and hang out with my family.

Me: If you could travel anywhere in the world all expenses paid, where would you go?

W: Probably Australia because I love animals and the outdoors and Australia combines them both!
 
Me: What is your favorite season and why?

W:  Probably Fall. I love all the changing colors.
 
Me: If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?

W:  Dr. Seuss aka Theodore S. Geisel. [Writer's Note: I think this is one of my favorite answers yet - leave it to a Reading Professor!]

Me: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

W: Hand all your worries over to God. There's a lot of things we can't change and He's in control. Just give it over to Him and don't worry about it. I'm not much of a worrier - as military wife, I can't afford to be!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue