Faculty Spotlight: Clara Carroll


One day earlier this week we were having some internet issues on campus that were drastically interrupting my workflow since most of my projects that day required access to the internet. Since I couldn't be "plugged-in" that afternoon, I decided to take the opportunity to do something that didn't involve my computer and interview the next faculty member on my list. I sat down with Clara Carroll, Assistant Dean, Chair of Graduate Studies and Associate Professor of Education. Clara wears a lot of hats and is a very busy woman but I enjoyed the chance to visit with her that afternoon. Here's what she had to say!

Me: How many years have you been in the field of education?
 
Clara: 31 years

Me: What made you decide to become a teacher?

C: Didn’t necessarily want to become a teacher as much as I wanted to enter the Family & Consumer Sciences world. There was something so creative about the home ec scene – textiles, sewing, cooking, etc. Also, my mother wasn’t officially a teacher but was definitely a teacher at heart. She was always teaching Bible school or crafts or something. I guess it just kind of came natural to me thanks to her.

Me: What is your favorite thing about your job?

C: All of the really neat people I get to interact with – students, faculty, staff – the people definitely make the difference!

Me: What is your favorite class/subject to teach?

C: Teaching the National Board classes is a real privilege. The educators that come to those classes are often the “cream of the crop” and it is really wonderful to get to work with the best of the best!

Me: What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you in the classroom?

C: I was teaching Kindergarten and all of the students were in the cafeteria. One little girl came up to me and was incredibly distraught. When I asked her what was wrong, she informed me that one of her fellow students had said the “s-word”. When I asked her if she wanted to whisper it to me she seemed appalled at the idea of even repeating such an awful word and said that it was really bad and she didn’t think she could repeat it. I told her that if she wanted to come and whisper it to me later that it would be okay and it would help me know what to do with the student. She later came and told me the word – it was “stupid”. I had thought it was something much more offensive but I had to chuckle. Such a sweet and innocent heart she had to think that “stupid” was such a bad word! Another funny moment was one time when my Dad was visiting town and I brought him to class with me to meet all my Kindergarten students. When I introduced him, one little boy said “that’s your dad?? I thought your dad would be dead by now!” I was only in my mid-thirties at the time but this student must have thought I was ancient! It is amusing to me how children have such a funny perception of age!

Me: What do you like to do in your spare time?

C: Flower-gardening, sewing, cooking, reading and being with my family.

Me: If you could travel anywhere in the world all expenses paid, where would you go?

C: Back in time when my husband was a child in Calgary, Alberta so I could meet his mother and get to know his family. Both his parents passed away at a young age and I missed out on getting to know them. I would love to be able to get to know them better. I also would like to travel back in time and spend more time with my grandparents in McKinney, TX since I never really got to know them.  

[How’s that for thinking outside the box? I’ve never had anyone consider time-travel when they answered this question!]

Me: What is your favorite season and why?

C: I think the fall. I love the changing colors but what I love the most is that fall marks a new beginning for educators and students. Every fall we get to start over with a clean slate and I think everyone deserves and needs a fresh start sometimes.

Me: If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?

C: I would love to meet Clara Barton. Of course we share the same name, which is probably what drew me to her in the first place, but I love how dedicated she was to helping people. What really intrigues me is how she forgave people, even when they had intentionally harmed her. Several books have been written about her and one of them recorded a time when she had hired an individual and one of her co-workers asked why she had hired this person because this person had previously wronged Clara quite severely. She is quoted as saying something along the lines of “ Yes, I remember purposefully forgiving them for that- let’s move on.” Talk about an incredible example of forgiveness!  

[Want more on this forgiving humanitarian? Visit http://www.redcross.org/museum/history/claraBarton.asp]

Me: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

C: Always treat people with dignity and respect, regardless of their role or alleged level of importance in life. Everyone has a story and you don’t know where they have been or where they are going. Also, another great piece of advice is to just be the best you can be.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue