Sample for Homework Assignment 1

 To me, personal growth means how I am growing as a person in order to have a more satisfying and more meaningful life.  I think it includes knowing who I am, what I would like to be, and what I am doing in order to reach that aspiration.  I found a really great quote related to personal growth.  James Bryant Conant said, "Behold the turtle. He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out.” I chose this quote because it is so true in learning.  The only time we see real learning and improvement is when we take chances.  I think it also speaks to how we as humans deal with change.  For the most part, we hate when things change.  It feels different and strange and a little scary, but if we are willing to "stick our necks out" and try the new thing, we realize how great change can actually be.  The quote relates to personal growth because if you never change you will never grow.  I had never heard of James Bryant Conant, so I did a little research.  He lived from the 1890s until the 1970s and accomplished many things in his lifetime.  He was a very well-known president of Harvard University, where he introduced the first aptitude tests to screen students for admission.  This eventually led to the well-known SAT test. He also changed the focus at Harvard from the classical style of learning to a more scientific approach.  If you would like to read more about this fascinating man, you can follow this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bryant_Conant

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue