Faculty Spotlight: David Bangs

Earlier this week I caught up with Dr. David Bangs, Associate Professor and Director of Educational Leadership here in the College of Education. As you may recall from a previous post, the Ed Leadership office has undergone a lot of changes this summer and therefore David is a very busy man. I'm glad I got to catch him for a few minutes and get his answers to the following questions!

Me: How many years have you been in the field of education?

David: I’m starting year number 32. I was in public education for 27 years and now I’m starting my 5th year at Harding.

Me: What made you decide to become a teacher?

D: The influence of other teachers I had had over the years.

Me: What is your favorite thing about your job?

D: Helping people move to another level. Leadership is about influence and a strong leader can influence others. If we can build people up to become strong leaders, we can have an incredible influence over a lot of people and really further our mission.

Me: What is your favorite class/subject to teach?

D: I was teaching a Personnel class that I really enjoyed but now I’m teaching everything from the overview class to preparing them to present a portfolio. I like being able to see the whole process from start to finish.

Me: What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you in the classroom?

D: I teach administrators and you know they can tell funny stories all day long. I’m probably not allowed to share most of them though!

Me: What do you like to do in your spare time?

D: I don’t get to do it very often but I do like to go golfing and hunting and as crazy as it may sound, I like to mow my grass!

Me: If you could travel anywhere in the world all expenses paid, where would you go?

D: I’d probably see where my wife would like to go – she’s a big fan of sandy beaches so probably somewhere tropical.

Me: What is your favorite season and why?

D: I like the fall weather that’s rolling in now. And fall is when football starts! [David has played and coached this sport in the past so he's a big fan]

Me: If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?

D: I’d like to meet Barnabus because he was such an encourager.

Me: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

D: “Be a good listener”. I live with 4 women (3  daughters and a wife) –  this advice comes in handy!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue