An Outline to Grad School


Well, my first major graduate school requirement has beenassigned to me for the spring semester. I will be giving my “first required seminar” to the department.  I am both excited and nervous already.  Because of this I feel it’s only appropriateto give a little overview of how my graduate school outline looks. I originallywas going to post a new “Under the Hood” featuring my topic for the seminar(and what will eventually become my thesis work) but I want to have a largebackground before I write that post so that I can accurately paraphrase,because in reality I would bet none of you really care.  But I appreciate all the site views andsupport for my blog regardless!

Anyway, if you go onto the Purdue IPPH website it has linksfor the curriculum and requirements but the links just lead to underconstruction pages.  So I will do my bestto fill you.  The Pharmaceutics Ph.D.program is considered a five year program so I will break it down into thosefive years and what is expected.

Year One –
  • Finish any pre-requisite classes (Physical Chemistry, Linear Algebra andDifferential Equations, etc.).
  • Take full course load of classes that are either helpful for your futureresearch or helpful for background in you research area (Organic Spectroscopy,Statistical Design of Experiments, Computation Chemistry, etc.).
  • STAY OUT OF TROUBLE academically!

Year Two –
  • Begin working in the laboratory.
  • Identify area of research for thesis (non-specific).
  • Give “First Required Seminar”involving a literary review of relevant topics and preliminary data.
  • Take a few more classes that could aid in your work (Properties of Solids,Crystallography, etc.)

Year Three –
  • Continue lab projects.
  • Take one or two more classes.
  • Complete an “Oral Preliminary Exam”based on your direction of your thesis work. Sometimes this is referred as an Opening Defense.

Year Four –
  • Lab experiments.
  • Write thesis.
  • Enjoy life.

Year Five (and Beyond) –
  • Give “Last Required Seminar” overyour thesis research to the department.
  • Complete your “Thesis Defense.”
  • Submit your final “Thesis.”
  • Get a job!

So as you can see there are essentially five big milestonesfor the graduate curriculum (bold).  I amexcited because I am finally getting to start on the first one!  I guarantee you will be hearing much more aboutall of these as they come and go.

As for my First Required Seminar, that involves an hourpresentation to all the professors and students in the department.  It is the stepping stone into givingpresentations at conferences and preparing for the grind of publishing anddefending work during and after graduate school.  Needless to say, this might be the leastsignificant presentation I ever give professionally, but it will definitelykeep me up a few nights in the near future!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue