Faculty Spotlight: Diana Julian

Yesterday I had the pleasure of sitting down with Associate Professor of Education, Dr. Diana Julian. Diana came to us from the Arkansas Department of Education and that experience has been a huge asset to our Ed. Leadership department. Here's what she had to say!


Me: How many years have you been in the field of education?

Diana: 42 years

Me: What made you decide to become a teacher?

D: In the 50s and 60s, teaching was considered a good profession if you wanted to be a wife and mother because your schedule was supposed to align with your kids’ schedules. Over the years however, that definitely wasn’t always the case!

Me: What is your favorite thing about your job?

D: The people and the culture at Harding. I came to Harding from state government which can be a pretty cutthroat environment. I just really appreciate the culture at Harding and being able to be surrounded by Christians.

Me: What is your favorite class/subject to teach?

D: Leadership classes because that’s what it’s all about. If we can get Educational Leaders revved up it is easier to raise the quality of teaching and student learning.

Me: What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you in the classroom?

D: I took one year off from teaching when I had my first child but I would still substitute teach occasionally. My identical twin sister is also a teacher and one time she had me sub for her. She had told the kids in advance so at least they weren’t tricked into thinking I was my sister, but the kids were so intrigued that they watched my every movement and one student finally said “not only do you look the same but you even do things exactly the same way as our regular teacher!”

Me: What do you like to do in your spare time?

D: I like to work in my flowers. I also have 4 grandchildren that I love spending time with.

Me: If you could travel anywhere in the world all expenses paid, where would you go?

D: I’ve always been interested in traveling to some of the countries that are supposedly “out-educating” the United States just to see what it is in fact that they are doing!

Me: What is your favorite season and why?

D: I really like the weather in the fall but my favorite has to be late fall/early winter because I love the holidays. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas. I come from a big family and holidays were always a special time of all the family getting together. Even though I only have 2 children of my own, I still try to carry on the traditions of big family get togethers around the holidays.

Me: If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?

D: I think I’d like to meet Margaret Thatcher. She had a lot of influence, did a lot of things well and was greatly respected by a lot of other leaders.

Me: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

D: “No matter how angry/upset you are with a person, always leave them with their dignity”. My Mother and Dad used to tell me that all the time and I think it is great advice.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue