Faculty Spotlight: Usen Akpanudo


Today I had the privelege of interviewing one of our Ed Leadership professors, Usenime Akpanudo (Usen or Dr. A for short). Originally from Nigeria, Usen has all sorts of rich experiences to share and I enjoyed visiting with him this afternoon. Here's what he had to say!

Me: How many years have you been in the field of education?

Usen: About 20

Me: What made you decide to become a teacher?

U: The decision was kind of made for me. My family manages several private schools in Nigeria. When I graduated, I had a teaching job waiting for me. My undergrad degree wasn’t in education but I switched at the Master’s level. I realized that I really enjoyed it and I’ve been doing it ever since.

Me: What is your favorite thing about your job?

U: I enjoy teaching. It makes me feel useful and that’s always a good feeling. I enjoy working with people and this job puts you right in the middle of that!

Me: What is your favorite class/subject to teach?

U: Research Methods – Many students see the words Research Methods and automatically think it’s going to be a class that they hate. I get to sell the idea to them that it is actually valuable information that they will use and that they will actually enjoy it.

Me: What’s the funniest thing that’s ever happened to you in the classroom?

U: The most recent funny thing that happened is that I had a student in my summer class and she was kind of my go-to student; the one I could ask questions to and I knew she would answer. I found out halfway through the class that I had been calling her the wrong name! It was funny but also embarrassing!

Me: What do you like to do in your spare time?

U: I enjoy broadening my perspective so I spend a lot of time reading various materials. Students often ask some tough questions in class and I like to be up-to-date on what’s going on.

Me: If you could travel anywhere in the world all expenses paid, where would you go?

U: Right now I’d probably say China. I’m just interested in learning more about the country with one of the world’s largest demographics and a rising economy. I am just curious to find out more about them and what they’re all about on their own turf.

Me: What is your favorite season and why?

U: I like Spring apart from all the allergies. I like the idea of a new beginning and that is what Spring symbolizes to me.

Me: If you could meet anyone in history, who would it be?

U: I would love to meet an ancestor of mine from 5 or 6 generations back. I like learning about the history of Nigeria but unfortunately there isn’t a ton of information recorded. I would love to talk to one of my ancestors about how Nigeria was back then and what it was like.

Me: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

U: An important thing I heard from multiple sources growing up is that it is important to know who you are. We have a tendency to try and be like other people and “fit in”. You can appreciate where others are coming from but you have to know who you are, where you came from and what makes you unique.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

TrafficRevenue